Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tutorial: Making hook clasps from shank buttons

I've love shank buttons, especially old vintage ones. Unfortunately I find them difficult to use in jewelry because they tend to dangle or hang the way they want rather than the way I want.
Just fooling around tonight I figured out that they could be turned into hook clasps, here are the steps I took:
I used 20 gauge annealed steel wire.

Cut off a 4 inch piece and make a loop one inch from the end.

Slip the doubled wire through the shank of your button, I like a nice snug fit but I think it's ok if it wiggles a little bit.
Taking the short end , curl it up and around the shank with needle nose pliers, cut off any extra wire. This locks it in place and prevents the button from moving up or down.
With the remaining wire make the hook clasp.
Easy Peasy
Angie

18 comments:

Dorthe said...

Angie, this is a wonderfull idea,and a great little tutorial. And the wire suits the old buttons.Beautifull.
Hugs,Dorthe

Jean W said...

Great tutorial and seems easy. Can't wait to see how you use them! Thanks.

Carla Trujillo said...

Very clever Angie!

barbara said...

I really like these. Thanks for the tutorial. See you soon.

Hopelessly Romantic Art Studio said...

Wow, that's a great idea. I love the look of it. Thanks for sharing and the tutorial.
Blessings, Gerri

Barbara Bechtel said...

That was super clever and so cute!

Pretty Things said...

Thanks SO much for sharing!

Work Of Our Hands said...

Super clever !

kecia deveney said...

Fun tutorial, thank you for sharing. May I ask, where do you find 20 gauge annealed wire? I can only find it in 19 gauge, so was just curious!

Thanks,

kecia

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this...I have so many old buttons that I love and want to use in my jewelry...I'll be doing this a lot. It's also nice to save money on clasps...they can be so expensive for something interesting. Peace to your heart

mirsini's creations said...

Wonderful idea and tutorial !!!! Thank you !! :))

yanmaneee said...

mbt shoes
air jordan
yeezy boost 700
mbt
jordan shoes
moncler jacket
yeezy boost 350
paul george shoes
ferragamo belts
yeezy boost 350 v2

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I sometimes use my grandmother's button stash to make necklaces, and this would be the perfect clasp! Thanks for sharing.

Lindy said...

Very nice tutorial. Thank you for sharing. Best wishes

Audrey B said...

Awesome!!! Tried it right away - turned out great! Got lots of vintage and antique buttons from my mom's stash - now I will have beautiful unique clasps! Thank you!

jethe said...

this website review informative post you could check here official site right here

Unknown said...

o6h51b1h92 e8j35f0s15 x2y06p1l58 g4c25k7r36 s5m98s0p79 n8b97n7m91

Anonymous said...

supreme
cheap jordans
kyrie 8
curry shoes
Travis Scott Air Jordan
jordan travis scott
yeezy boost 350
hermes
kyrie irving shoes
palm angels t shirt