Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ring it in

..or in our case...beat it in with metal pans and wooden spoons!

Banging pots is a tradition set by our Grandma...perhaps it's a German thing?  As little ones we would spend every other New Year's Eve with her when we came home for the holidays.  She let us watch the TV until midnight then sent us out on the front porch to 'bang' in the New Year.  This year we celebrated with Debbie's family and the pots and spoons were ready... all 5 kiddos banging out in front of the house, such a sight, such a racket, and such fun!!

Today is Mr. Bob's birthday and the official last day of our holiday celebrating.  The food is gone (we are all more than full),  family will start traveling home, and the decorations will slowly be packed away.  A clean slate starts tomorrow.

Happy New Year!
Angie

6 comments:

marie said...

Happy New Year Angie...it's been a pleasure to follow along with you this past year!
I hope 2012 is filled with joy and I hope you have a wonderful time making this new house a "home sweet home"!

stregata said...

Wishing you a wonderful 2012, Angie!
I don't know if banging in the New Year with pots and pans is a German thing - I have never heard of it, but it still could have been an older tradition - before the widespread use of firecrackers and fireworks.

Alice said...

Sounds like a fun way to ring in the new year. All the decorations are put away here, and I hope to begin the cleaning process as well--though I'm not looking foward to it at all.

Enjoy the new year!

Dorthe said...

Angie ,what fun...
Here I started with the tree yesterday, and then comes all the small pieces here, and there -down in boxes they go--I don`t want to let them go for now- but a few more dayes into january and it will be ok.lol-
Wish you a wonderful and happy year, dear.-
Hugs,Dorthe

LuLu Kellogg said...

I LOVE that!! banging pots....could be a great stress reliever!!!

Happy New Year Angie!

LuLu~*xoxo

Tulip said...

... family will start traveling home,... is that a reference to me? BTW, as the oldest sibling I have to tell ya, I don't remember banging in the New Year at gram's house (and NO it's not memory loss, I'm not that old)