Sunday, January 8, 2012

Studio Progress

Been working on the studio this weekend, felt a crazy urge to get the ideas out of my head and into reality.

Here is the before...lots of great household storage and shiny silver insulation, all very practical...but not what I wanted to look at all the time.  My mind saw curtains to give the illusion of a wall, something that could be opened and closed easily.

It took 30 feet of cable, clip hooks from Ikea and 15 yards of muslin...

The louvered bi-fold closet door in the corner hides some PVC piping, opposite that are a full set of doors that screen the furnace.  Found all these at a local re-use shop for $10 a pair.  I will probably paint the brown set eventually, also wonder if I can add cork to the insets to make them into bulletin boards.
Over to the other side of the room... I replaced the sagging plywood shelves with white melamine boards, one day I will paint the wood white too.  Organization will come slowly but surely, still trying to determine my needs, but it's not a bad start.  The Christmas light strand hung on the ceiling is a necessity since lighting in the area as really poor, only two light bulbs in the whole space.  

Here is the next project I will tackle...it is an incredible built in workbench but there is no electric.  I need to take down the pegboard and stud the wall to I can have electric run.  My hope is to do all my polymer clay and jewelry work in this space. Oh, I'm also dreaming of a thrifty old wood window pane to hang and cover the not-so-pretty metal window but not lose the light.

It will all take time, trying to be patient.  I'm reluctant to spend a lot right now...still in the Christmas spending hangover stage.  Thanks for stopping by to see the progress!

~Angie

9 comments:

Blessings from Cindy said...

It looks like a great start Angie! You did a lot with fabric and found items! I love the ReStore in our area, actually there are 3 we go to!! Good luck getting it all done. Doing it on a dime is so worth it!
Blessings,
Cindy

Brenda said...

WOW Looks like you have a lot of space.... Great start!

Barbara Bruder said...

WOW you are off to a great start!!Love the cork board idea. It will come together over some time.
It's getting there. Can't wait to see it in person.

Tina Schiefer said...

Wow! That's good progress!!! Loving the wooden doors/screen...

I've been blog m.i.a....of late. Been focusing on CHA projects and my day job...

Your space is looking great... Congrats!

Tina Schiefer said...

Wow! That's good progress!!! Loving the wooden doors/screen...

I've been blog m.i.a....of late. Been focusing on CHA projects and my day job...

Your space is looking great... Congrats!

stregata said...

What a difference a few yards of fabric can make! It is coming along nicely - you will have a dream space in no time!

Alice said...

Wow, what an amazing change! You're on your way to a fantastic studio!

Karalee said...

Lookin' good.

Julie Z said...

Great post Angie - loved seeing your ideas and progress on your workspace! So fun to set up a new work area!! I have a very small, less than ideal - but FUNCTIONAL space and supplies in (literally) every room of the house. SOMEDAY I hope bring it all back together in fitting workspace - lol! SO FUN to see you working on yours! Again, loved the pics and ideas! Great job so far!!