Last week I found a tutorial on transferring ink jet images onto wood and tonight I finally had a chance to try it out. I decided to try the technique with a transparency sheet. First I put a thick coat of Elmer's glue on the transparency and let it dry. Then I sanded down the edges of the wood block I wanted to transfer onto. Using vintage Santa images I cropped them to fit the block, then printed the images in reverse on the transparency. I used my Epson printer with Dura Brite inks since they are somewhat water resistant. I did need to attach the transparency onto a carrier sheet to get the printer to accept it. Once printed I applied Mod Podge to one side of the block and carefully applied the image burnishing with my fingers.
I let this dry for about 30 minutes (because I'm impatient) then pulled up the transparency, the results were a bit splotchy but not bad.
Eventually I did all four sides, the best transfer came when I let the image sit on the Mod Podge for over an hour.
This last santa had some real trouble but I decided I could hide it. This wood block's future is as an ornament I'm taking to the ASOM swap on Monday.
Made a huge mess in my studio pulling out all the possible embellishments...
this is the final result.
I may still add something to the bottom, maybe some vintage glass beads, but I'm out of time for tonight and I'm headed to bed.