Saturday, October 24, 2009

Happy Little Tree

Just outside my front window this Sweet Gum tree makes me pause each fall to take in it's beauty...

It gives our family much needed shade on the hot summer afternoons, beautiful color in the fall, and the knotty bent branches are exposed just in time for Halloween.

If I were a psychologist I could claim this tree has multiple personalities. Some leaves turn an incredible red to deep eggplant, so deep it almost looks black. Another part orange and the leaves closest to the house turn a light yellow.


That is not a steadfast rule though...
this little guy is definitely beating to it's own drum in a sea of yellow.

As much as I do love this tree it does have one drawback, sweet gum balls, prickly little foot hazards that fall to the ground all winter and must be raked up in the early spring.

Oh, I see you hanging there all innocent but I know what you plans are...

2 comments:

Carla said...

I grew up with Gum trees surrounding our house. Those "monkey balls", as we incorrectly called them, bring back memories! Some not so good of my brothers hurling them at me! Those trees do produce some beautiful leaves. As a little girl, my Mom and I would collect them from the ground and iron them between pieces of wax paper, and hang them about the house. Remember doing that?

Wow, your post really brought alive a few childhood memories! Thanks for sharing!

marie said...

Aren't the colors of autumn leaves amazing! Such beautiful photos ~ I really love the second one!